Wiltshire College & University
Centre was established in 2000 following the amalgamation of three separate
colleges in Chippenham, Trowbridge and Lackham, initially operating as
In 2006, the College opened its bespoke motorsport
centre at Castle Combe racetrack before the College was further expanded in
2008 following a merger with Salisbury College to become the multi-campus
facility we know today.
This merger with a site in the south of
the county created a single establishment capable of offering Further Education
courses right across Wiltshire.
In 2018, the College was granted
university status and was renamed Wiltshire College & University Centre in
recognition of its offering of Higher Education and Degree Level courses.
The College has undergone extensive
redevelopment work in recent years, beginning in 2015 with the opening of a
brand-new campus building at Chippenham following a £21million redevelopment.
Alongside this, a bespoke Construction Skills Centre at Trowbridge was opened
in the same year.
Further renovations were completed in 2021 following a £24million redevelopment across multiple sites.
The Salisbury campus was given a complete revamp with the creation of a new central building, while upgrades to the Lackham campus included a brand-new AgriTech Centre and a state-of-the-art Robotic Dairy.
The College’s Chippenham campus has
history dating back more than a century and the foundation stone of the former
main building at the site on Cocklebury Road was laid in 1899. The centre was founded
as North Wilts College of Further Education and later changed its name to
Chippenham Technical College before becoming Chippenham College in 1993. The
current College building on Cocklebury Road was opened in 2015.
Lackham is the College’s specialist campus for land-based studies based between Lacock and Chippenham.
It was first established in 1946 when Wiltshire County Council purchased the Lackham estate with a view to turning it into the Wiltshire Farm Institute.
The facility became known as the Lackham School of Agriculture in 1950 and then Lackham College in 1993.
The College’s Salisbury campus has a history dating back more than a century. The former Salisbury College on the current Southampton Road site was established in 1992 following a merger between Salisbury College of Technology and Salisbury College of Art and Design. Salisbury College of Technology was formed in 1947, while Salisbury College of Art and Design was first established in the late 19th Century.
It began in an art gallery and in 1927 became the City of Salisbury School of Art. By 1935 it was known as the City of Salisbury School of Art & Crafts before moving to a new site as Salisbury College of Art and Design in the 1960s.
The College Road site, home of the Trowbridge campus, has been in existence since midway through the 20th Century and was initially known as Trowbridge Technical College. In 1993, it was renamed Trowbridge College.